MORNING WINGS DAILY DEVOTIONAL - 24/07/2026
FRIDAY - 24TH JULY, 2026
MORNING WINGS DAILY DEVOTIONAL - Olusola & Oreoluwa ADEJUMO
RUNNING A VAIN RACE - Escaping Vain Labour Series 006
II Samuel 18:20 (KJV)
"And Joab said unto him, Thou shalt not bear tidings this day, but thou shalt bear tidings another day: but this day thou shalt bear no tidings, because the king's son is dead."
Today, I bring you the story of an athlete-messenger. His name is Ahimaaz and he is a runner. If he were pitched with Usain Bolt, we don't know who might win. On the wake of the battle that leads to Absalom's death, there comes a need to update David, the king on the latest of the battle field. For this reason, someone must bear the tiding. Joab doesn't want Ahimaaz to carry the news because Absalom, the king's son is dead. He'll rather send a Cushite - an Ethiopian/Nubian messenger soldier who may be known for delivering sad news with tact without expecting a reward or recognition.
However, Ahimaaz would not agree. He is full of contention and despite the explanation of Joab, he eventually prevailed, ran but without a message.
II Samuel 18:22, KJV
"Then said Ahimaaz the son of Zadok yet again to Joab, But howsoever, let me, I pray thee, also run after the Cushite. And Joab said, Wherefore wilt thou run, my son, seeing that thou hast no tidings ready?"
Joab eventually let him run. He did and outran the Cushite to the king. Unfortunately for him, when asked about the battle updates, he couldn't deliver the core and heart of the matter.
II Samuel 18:29 (KJV)
"And the king said, Is the young man Absalom safe? And Ahimaaz answered, When Joab sent the king's servant, and me thy servant, I saw a great tumult, but I knew not what it was."
Mark his saying, "...I saw a great tumult but I knew not what it was." Immediately, he was set aside for the Cushite. He had ran but he had no message to give. He couldn't give answers to the pining heart of the king. No time was wasted on him. He was immediately forgone for the Cushite.
II Samuel 18:30 (KJV)
"And the king said unto him, Turn aside, and stand here. And he turned aside, and stood still."
After that, the Cushite arrived and delivered the full message, including Absalom's death (II Samuel 18:31–33). You see, this is how those who have been forewarned not to run a vain race will be disgraced if they do. Your insistence over that matter that only you know will only put you in trouble. Don't run on a journey you have no provision for. What makes a messenger is the message? I'm one because God gives me words to give to His people on a daily basis. Without that, I'm no messenger and no one is. Probe yourself, who has called you, who has sent you, who are you working (running for)? Your belly or God? Your ego or personal relevance? Your answers will determine if you've been running a vain race or not. See to this and snatch yourself from everything that'll not make you the first choice in God's will.
PRAYER: I escape every future disgrace on my journey. I hear and take heed. I won't run but only to be set aside. I won't go into the wrong marriage but only to be set aside.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR
II Chronicles 11:1-13:22, Romans 8:26-39, Psalm 18:37-50, Proverbs 19:27-29
Powered by Morning Wings Ministries. Share with others in English, French, Arabic, Swahili and Chinese. Enquire or counsel through +234 80 77 63 85 50 or +234 8137 04 68 12 II morningwingministry@gmail.com & Blog @ www.morningwingsministry.blogspot.com



Comments
Post a Comment