Sunday 1 August 2021

THE JOY OF BECOMING PARENTS

THE JOY IN SEEING ONE'S ISSUES 

Until you're in somebody's shoes at times, you may not be able to colleague with them on their experience. I have been having strong nostalgia of my childhood days. I could still remember far back when my mum would tuck my shirt in for me. I remembered times I pretended to be sick with intention to be excused from school. Moments when as children, we were the delight and the concentration of parents. At adulthood, we're still but the pampering has changed because it is now our turn to hand out ministrations. 

From the smile or cry of a child that catches our attention; to the first pronouncement of titles like 'abba' or 'ma' etc, to the dexterity of child prodigies even at tender age, and even to the questions asked by children like "who put humans in TV?", all contributes to this joy of having children. A man was dazed when he was preparing to go out and his yet to clock three year old boy went to bring his shoes. Yet, that was the thing he was rightly looking for to crown his dressing. Now, ask yourself, "how did that young chap picked that?" 

It should be like two weeks now when I chatted up one of our sisters who gave birth. I sent her good wishes and prayers. Then I said, "I know you're happy, experiencing the joy of seeing your own issue." She concurred.

Oh, what a blessing to see one's children. At times, when I sit back, I always see my children. I'll allow my imagination to travel on the positive aspects of life. Let yours also do. By thinking and ruminating on the positives and the future to come, you will be allowing hope to invigorate your soul and body. Doing this, you can't be old waiting for a particular promise or prophecy until it comes. Abraham and Sarah did until Isaac also arrives. You can use the same process to await and receive anything from God. So, I picture how I'll like them to be raised. How they should be dressed. What education they should have and what should be their conduct. Many times, I have thought on how good it would be having daughters. I want to see my daughters grow up to be beauties like the daughters of Job and prophetess like the daughters of Philip. I want to be proud one day when men would patronize them. 

One of the contents in movies I choose to watch is any that speaks of palace life or training a fellow to become a thing from childhood or nothingness. How royalty is groomed is really worth noting. All of us have an education in mind for our issues undeniably. At times, I've told myself, "no wonder, some parents enforce choice of career on their children." It's that sense of being caring that now becomes overburdening or overprotective. I know you do think this way also. It's the way of all the earth. We have it in common. 

Children are the pride of parents. That's why these Bible verses say: 

Psalms 127:4-5, KJV

"4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.  5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate."

Did you read HAPPY is the man? When the Bible says "happy", it means blessed, fortunate and celebrated is that man. I've prayed with and for waiting parents before. You can see that their joy is not yet full. When they see the issues of others living and growing, their hearts would beat together in prayers and yearning for their own. Do you know why? Real happiness is exhibited over what you own.

Think of what a warrior can use arrows to accomplish. That's what good parenting can harness children with a tabularaza mind to achieve too. There's nothing a new born can't become if the right training and resources aids him. There's no parent also who prays that he/she will be handicapped in catering for his issues. When it concerns each of us, even where we couldn't receive pampering, we want to give comfort to our children to be better than us but not to spoil them. We want them to be assured and know that they can always run home when there's turbulence outside. 

It is in the light of this I can now begin to understand part of our parents' joy over us while we were growing up. What did Isaiah say about growing up?

Isaiah 53:2, KJV

"For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground..."

Who shall grow up like a tender plant in that place? Jesus of course. A tender plant or a root from a dry ground alludes to frailness and the childhood stage. It's a stage of dependence. From being tender however, children will grow to become trees just like their parents. Before my father died, I was sharing the same foot wear with him. Many times, he gave me some of his foot wears and on some occasions, he drew a line for me not to wear some. I'll never forget one sandal 'daddy mi' used in his youth to do fine boy that was passed on to me. How I loved this sandal. It took time before it worn out. It had a very high and thick sole. 

There's joy in seeing a once tender plant grow to  become a fully blown adult with whom you can now share your thoughts on subjects of life. I travelled with my father some times and I saw how much he took pride in my walking beside him. Of all my father's children, I'm not only the first born male, I carry his resemblance than any. 

Especially when children win prizes or do their parents proud amidst colleagues, their joy knows no bound. That is their prayer that they'll have gifted, swift and self taught children. No wonder our parents would try all in their capacity to meet our requests. Many times, our mothers advocated for us before our fathers on our needs. ...and our failures became their concerns too.

What a joy seeing your own child dress in uniform for school; having packed their warm food. Imagine everything sparkling new with perfume and aura of Jehovah communicating in sonorosity of favour after having laid hand on him or her at the family morning devotion with assurance not to forget his identity. Such child can't be defeated.

A father recently brought her daughter to school. The man is well to do. In his well esteemed jeep, he came out first of all to open the door for her J.S.S.1 daughter who was seated at the owner's place. I was on the second floor watching this. Some may see that and mistitled it. After I saw it, I ruminated on it until the jigsaw was arranged. It's good to give your children an image that won't make them see themselves as inferior. Give them a picture of the standard they should set for themselves and demand out of life. A girl the father always does that for can't be treated lesser by a male if he takes her to a restaurant. He knows he must pull the chair for her and open the door for her.  I told that girl later, "once you get home, tell daddy, I love what he did." If you see something worthy of praise, shoot your gun for that purpose. 

What a joy becoming a father or mother. If you  see someone that's due being a parent, her behaviour and carriage will be that of a parent. If such should be given oversight over a child, she'll treat such like hers. She won't see it as a burden. 

A sister sometimes ago portrayed that. She stays at her elder brother's home and that one has a boy of like four years. Whenever she returns from office and the boy comes around, she must have something to present. The sister told me severally when we had to do, "I need to remember to buy something for him." When the elder sister who has two children was on night duties for awhile as a nurse, she stood in to help cater for the two daughters also. You see, she's acting like a mother because that's what she's due for. When a joy awaits you, you like feeling its feel.

To caregivers and parents who have vision to do all in their capacity to raise children that will be whole, may God support you and cushion you with all resources needed.

To the waiting parents. None shall be barren in the land has not gone on relegation. We'll share your own testimonies soonest.

To the singles, may the joy due you come. May God fetch you a home where you can raise children that'll be free of the corruption of this world who can continue your legacy and pass your name on. 

Olusola ADEJUMO, M'Wings.

Morning Wings Ministry, Nigeria.

www.morningwingsministry.blogspot.com

morningwingministry.blogspot.com

+234 81 3704 6812.

1 comment:

MORNING WINGS DAILY DEVOTIONAL - 02/09/2024

MONDAY  - 2ND SEPTEMBER, 2024 Happy New Month!!! MORNING WINGS DAILY DEVOTIONAL - Olusola ADEJUMO BESETTED BUT TURNED FORTH AS GOLD Acts 27:...